The "Dark" Poem

by Sumi H. Inkblot

"Who knows who cares
The knowledge of war is theirs
For some to seek, others find
To know what lies in honest mind
Fire to the frost and death to the dead
See blood, hot flame, turn dreams flooded red
Minions of the crystal, uniformed in same
Programmed for battle, minds to maim.
Darkness there, death follows
Her commands of murky depths of shadows
Darkness and cunning, the force of war
Ace's power, the nightmare of lore"

This one, next to "The Sun Bird" is probably my best. The rhythm makes it roll off the tongue nicely. It's influenced by Brian Jacques' Redwall poems, I think.
Anyway, I wrote this for my City of Heroes Warshade. It's her bio poem :D
Comments, critiques, reviews all wanted and appreciated.
~Ink/Sumi

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:56 am
Riedawriter23 wrote a review...

This was interesting. It had great word usage and really strong feeling behind it, though I think you should change the title? The title is a little demeaning and amatuer for me. That's just me though. lol

Try to break your lines apart and this should flow wonderfully.

Keep at it!
~Rieda

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:26 am
Sohini says...

i liked this poem although the theme was a little obscure but i really enjoyed your choice of wordsthey were very precise and the truth was very much alive in the lines.

inkweaver22 wrote a review...

Yo!

Not trying to sound overtly scathing here but what exactly is this poem about? War? A warrior? Is it anti-violence?
Sorry, maybe I'm just missing the point but although the dialogue was good I found the subject a little cloudy.

Could you excuse my denseness?

P.S. Thanks for signing my pitifully empty guestbook

~D'Inkweaver

Fireweed wrote a review...

Hmm...

I liked this, but I don't think that it conveys your meaning to the reader very effectively. It was well-written; your imagery and language were strong, the rhyme and rhythm were consistent, it flowed well, etc... but it felt... cluttered. I had a hard time deciphering much meaning from it. What was the main message you were trying to convey with this poem? Think about that and work on making the poem's message more obvious to the reader. Oh, and I'll second Claudette's suggestion: proof read this for punctuation stuff. I think the first line needs to broken up with either a comma or question marks.

So, ya... I basically just echoed everything Claudette said. :roll:

I do like this, and I think it has the potential to be a very strong piece with a little revision. :D I liked the Redwall books alot when I was younger, too... It's been a while since I've read them so I don't recall what the poems were like... It's good to draw inspiration from your favorite writers, though.

Nice work, Keep writing! ^_^

Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Yep! Arigato for the critique!
~Sumi

Emerson wrote a review...

I'm not entirely sure what to say XD I read it, but the rhyming clawed at my brain, strangely enough, and so did the flow. Something about it all together doesn't sit right with me, but I cannot put my finger on it...Sorry! This will end up being my worst poetry critique ever.

You used good language, but I couldn't figure out what it was about. I could go on and on about what poetry should be/do but I won't, cause I don't feel like it right now and I'm not entirely sure you actually need that aspect.

The only thing I could suggestion is improving the punctuation. Poetry & Punctuation is an article I wrote that will hopefully help you understand the strong connection between the two.

Wow, this really is the worst poetry critique I've given, sorry it is so lousy! Hope I helped a little bit...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.